Sunday, August 25, 2013

"Right Where I Need To Be"

Where to start... It's been a whirlwind of a week, or is it two? Everyday is busy but a blast. This weekend a couple of us new permanent BAMC nurses went to go sing along with Gary Allan, my new crush ;) Cowboy hats, work boots, Texas Shiner, Jack Daniels, and goodhearted cowboys and cowgirls just laughing, dancing and singing all the words as if it were the most sweet penetrating insight to their souls. It was a blast! The first of many country concerts ahead I'm sure. The next morning a few of us headed to Guadalupe River to plunk down in oversized inner-tubes from nine until one floating lazily on the green blue crisp water cradled in the roots of the hearty live oaks. Closed eyes, sun blazing, water lapping at neon blue toes, the venerable Spanish moss overhead and talk of endless possibilities ahead, excitement swells up inside me and breaks into a shameless grin. I love Texas. Can't wait to show you everything I find.

I had the chance to meet a couple of my new classmates today and 0515 tomorrow marks the "first day" of BOLC. People seem nice so far, and more importantly I have a kick ass battle buddy to get me through. I'll keep ya'll posted on how training goes!

As for the apartment, it's really starting to feel like my own. It's very comfortable and feels very safe. Thank you to Dad for finding it! I've really enjoyed trying to decorate it and have VA, Poland, Switzerland, Paris, Fossil Creek, Rappahannock and Russia represented so far. Also I've started to cook! Unbelievable I know. I know. smh. Anyway though I can make meatballs and tomato sauce, peanut thai sauce, any smoothie ever, gazpacho and gnocchi. It was good too! YUMmmm comfort food! To balance out the cooking I joined Gold's Gym locally and it's bomb. Has everything. I also joined a running club through Meetup.com and last Thursday went for a 4 miler on the southern more secluded part of the River Walk. Got there at 6:30pm, stayed until 11! Great nice people, so I'll definitely be making that a weekly habit. My new priest, Father Francis, is really kind as well and has a thick Irish accent like he's fresh off the boat ;) Needless to say I'm way receptive to anything he has to say haha My church doesn't seem to have people between the ages of 5 and 100 but I'm gonna keep going because it's nice, calming and has consistent and down to earth homilies. Well I think that about wraps up my life right now! I'll be sure to take more pictures!

My living room is my favorite, notice the quilt ;)


Thank you for the cards!



Texas cutting board, super handy and patriotic!

Notice the Texas Star :)

I love that shower curtain!

My lovely closet


Proof. NOMMm

Attempt at gnocchi, took forever...

4 hours of cooking after Gold's Gym!

Out exploring South Town, this is at La Tuna where the running club meets.

Coffee Shop I wanna try in South Town

Sadly the only picture I have from my weekend! From left to right Jessi, Nicole and my battle buddy Tori. We are with Buckee or something.. it's a big deal, but I don't know...

4 comments:

Steve Von Fange said...

Sounds like fun. Keep up the blog!

auntyk said...

Wow Katie! LOVE your apartment! You need real dishes though! I know what to send you now!
love you!

ktvonfang said...

So glad you like the apartment! Actually I went and got some nice dishes! :)

kvonfang said...

Wow I really want to vist you!! The apartment looks so cozy and lovely... Makes me miss you:( love the dresser!!