Saturday, April 04, 2020

The good idea fairy

The sun shines through the delicate budding leaves on the tall ancient trees, bathing the world in a lime green glow. Time slows in the green rays and the radiant warmth lights inside me the possibilities of a long free summer ahead. With the big bad world halted in the wake of a microscopic enemy, living in the present has never felt more timely. I live in the future, always, but recent times have shifted my lens to the near future. I sketch the layout of a small farm… the chicken coop on the far end of the property, the pumpkin patch to the right of the big garden and watermelons to the left… A privacy fence down the line of the road or maybe that should be tall bushes? Raised beds between the sheds featuring herbs, tomatoes, and sugar snap peas.

It's so hard not to think of all the projects I'd rather get started than school work now that good weather has finally found us. Chance and I finally got around to hanging all our pictures up. We hung curtains in Kit's room and the kitchen. It's such a satisfying feeling to invest time into this house because I know we'll be here for a while. After moving four times in six years, we are craving some stability. Time to put down some roots.

Speaking of which, I've planted some seeds into seedling cups and I'm watching vigilantly, hoping they'll sprout. Preschool for Kit this summer will be weeding, squashing bugs and learning to choose ripe tomatoes from green ones. She’s even started a compost pile! Pretty soon here she may have a furry companion to make her rounds with, but we’ll see.   

1 comment:

kvonfang said...

Pumpkin patch in the back yard?!!! I am definitely coming to the Platz pumpkin patch this fall! And I plan to pick lots of pumpkins, I'd like a corn maze, apple cider and hayrides please! I love reading your blog; it's so nice to hear about what your every day life is like. I think it's good that you have some time to rest and enjoy the sensation of the moment. Think of all the hard work you've put in during your life, and just savor some time to sit back and see the fruits of your labor! Love you!!