Monday, March 31, 2014

Cardiac Telemetry


Challenge, rhythm, passion, advocating. I love my job. I love the exaggerated mannerisms and antiquated wisdom of the retired vets on heart monitors. The smart winks and concerned tone of a man unsure of his health but charmed as ever to know I’m taking care of him. The crisp knowing smile of a woman having spent eighty years taking care of the people around her and waiting patiently as I listen to her lung fields. 3W is the heart of BAMC. Never before have I been as challenged as I have been in these first couple months on the floor. Patients call, techs ask, nurses convene, doctors order, I assess and evaluate, then I assess and evaluate, then I assess... The plan is liquid. A thank you from a doctor who missed something is a warm breeze and in two seconds a patient going down hill is an anvil drowning me in what ifs and why didn't I see this sooner and did I do the right thing? Sometimes the answer is that I would've seen it if I were more experienced, sometimes there are no warning signs. I'm told that with time, routine and knowledge settle in, but for now, my time on 3W is high's and lows, exhaustion, questions, excitement, prioritizing; all worth it to sign my name at the end of a shift and know I gave the best care I knew how to give. I'm in love :) 

2 comments:

auntyk said...

Fantastic Katie! You're going to be great, kiddo!

auntyk said...

Update!!!